Sunday, May 17, 2009

One thing about Freezer Paper Stencils


is that they are always mono prints. You can't really detach and re-iron on the previously used design- it just won't stick again, try as you might, even if you've managed to carefully pull off your stencil without ripping it. (Which would be good for practicing patience, but not actually all that useful in terms of getting more mileage out of your stencil.)

One way, however, to get a wee bit more distance from your time spent with the Exacto is to use your positive. The one I recommended to just throw away last post? Yeah- that one.

Here I used the positive bird from this shirt. I followed more or less the same steps: ironed it on where I wanted it, and just painted around it this time instead of inside it.




The difference this time, of course, is that the image will be a negative once you paint around it, and you'll have to decide on a shape to contain the stencil (and therefore the paint). I chose a simple square here, so I just cut out strips of extra freezer paper and boxed in the bird.

Just a way to get a little more life out of your efforts.

And ALSO, how very exciting to have had a little moment on WhipUp a few days ago! Woo-Hoo!
I'm honored; they are truly the compendium of craftiness.


3 comments:

LisaCase said...

wow! you're famous! and also, possibly obsessed. :) If I send you some of my t-shirts will you artistically improve them?

Alyssa said...

I will second Lisa's comments. Megan Monday improvements for all of our clothes!

Nancy Topolski delicately perched said...

Hi Megan,
I only received two posts for my give away. And since you really wouldn't have commented if I had not just commented on your blog... well I decided to give the yarn to Mary Catherine. But please contact me and give me your mailing address.I would like to send you something in the mail for being the "runner up."
Nancy