Thursday, November 13, 2008

pigment

Since I am taking a break from my oil painting attempts in favor of something less toxic, at least for the next year or so, I decided to try acrylic painting. In fact I even signed up for a class, and though we students spend the majority of our class time struggling right next to each other in silence, it's nice to have the imposed discipline to make you paint.
This is a painting in mid-breath:



Since I can't seem to be able to think about color and tone at the same time, I am trying again to just render the whatever-it-is-that's-I'm-painting, and then hope that glazes of various colors with help correct the ghastly greenish or muddy brown that I'd been imposing. In this particular picture, what he's holding will be a piece of bark from one of those birch-like papery trees where every year the outer layers just slowly unravel themselves from the trunk leaving delicate shards in varying puzzle piece shapes. This one lit a glowing red when held up to the sun.

No comments: