Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Grisaille Painting, again



Since this is my summer to get back into COLOR, and to re-bond with oil painting, I thought I'd go back the the "old master" layer technique I learned in high school, with an added twist. I'm going to incorporate Grisaille.
I tried this technique about a year ago, with limited success.
But this time I'm going back to oil (as opposed to acrylics), and I have the hazy summer days ahead of me.
I chose a portrait; a close-up of a face I know well to start with as I'm mostly working on technique for this first painting.


First I made the grisalle in light washes of India Ink.
These got progressively darker as I worked them.
(Below you can see the progression.)






After a loose grisaille, I made a wash of a bright, transparent red, (cadmium) thinned out with a lot of turpentine.



Next layer I'll do an opaque dark green (terra verte), thinned out with Turp, but a little less so than the red layer, so that I can work fat over lean.

No comments: