Thursday, January 11, 2007



I'm trying to make drawings again. Its been many years since I sat down seriously at it, so I am starting off simple with a straight forward portrait. Portrait making is something I used to do as exercise in art school, so it's something I can come back to, revisit. I am in the process of seeing if I can remember how to make lines look like they all communicate. But slowly I am enjoying it again. What I miss about art making in photography is this kind of process: the slow growth of an image. Sitting down with it and making little marks...photography is all about that temporal moment, and in drawing, you just get to explore that aspect longer. So this is nice: sit down in your little back room for awhile, drink tea, get your hands all charcoal-black.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Is that you! molls

zac said...

love the site- very updates since i've seen it last. im hoping to create a website with a class im taking this semester!
im coordinating a drawing show for sculpture majors at vcu's artspace late february. i'll show you sketches im working on soon

Anonymous said...

It is March so that means I haven't come upon this site for awhile...tooo long.I could not believe what I was seeing--M actually drawing again...fabulous!
Artillia

Dorothy said...

Good post.